Over the years you will find that the Holy Spirit emphasizes different themes of God’s Word to us. Over the past few decades one of the truths being restored to the body of Christ, has been the “word of faith”. In recent years, the Holy Spirit has been highlighting the message of “hope”.
In my own journey over the past decade I have given myself to learning about hope. In this journey, I have brought forth messages on Hope Ambassadors and Finding Hope: Rediscovering Life After Tragedy. You can find both of these audio messages in our Media section.One of my eventual goals is to compose a book called Finding Hope in the next couple of years to help many people process difficult times.
According to Webster’s Dictionary, hope is defined as 1) to cherish a desire with expectation of fulfillment, 2) to long with expectation of fulfillment. Vine’s Expository of Greek Words lists hope as: the favorable and confident expectation, the happy anticipation of good.
In my recent search, the Holy Spirit has directed me to the following as a primary verses on the subject of Hope.
Primary Scriptural Verses:
Zechariah 9: 12 – Return to the stronghold, O prisoners who have the hope; This very day I am declaring that I will restore double to you.
Hebrews 11:1 – Now faith is the substance of thing hoped for, evidence of things not seen.
Colossians 1:27 – God willed to make knows what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the gentiles, which is Christ in you the hope of glory.
1 Thessalonians 5:8 – the helmet of hope of salvation
Before we can ever walk in true biblical faith, it is imperative that we first be a people of “hope” possessing a happy anticipation that something good is about to happen. The helmet of hope must be placed upon our minds filtering what we hear and what we think resulting in a healthy mental attitude and perspective in life.
Hope is a positive stronghold. We know about the negative affects of ungodly beliefs, but we must not end there. We must replace these old thought patterns with fresh strongholds impregnated with life that are a place of safety and well being. One of these godly belief patterns is called the “stronghold of hope.” We must put our helmets of salvation back on and refuge the bombardment of negativity.
Frankly, I have to practice this everyday. I declare that something good is just about to happen. I pronounce that my joy is not dependent upon my external circumstances. I run to the enjoyable place that God is good all the time and His mercies endure forever!
Two Pictures of Hope from Hebrews 6: 17 – 20:
“In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us. This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.”
Two Pictures of Hope Portrayed:
- Hope is a place of refuge, life the cities of refuge in the Old Testament, where we run to and find safety and protection.
- Hope is an anchor of the soul (mind, will and emotions). A ship passes its anchor through the unstable element of water into the stable element of rock. The world is which we live is like the water – unstable, impermanent, insecure, ever changing in it’s form. But our hope in Christ is an anchor that passes out of eternity into time and fastens us to our foundation of bedrock below – to the “Rock of Ages”.
Ways to Obtain Hope
- Romans 15:4 – that thru the perseverance and encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope. Be a person of the Word of God!
- Lamentations 3:21 – 23 – This I recall to my mind and therefore I have hope. The Lord’s loving kindness indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail! Great is His faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul. Therefore, I have Hope in Him!
- Romans 15:13 – Thru faith, the power of the Holy Spirit enables us to abound in hope.
Yes, we have a sure expectation of unending ages of glory in the presence of the Lord. But we do not have to wait till we arrive in heaven, we get to bring heaven to earth. Let’s us Return to the Stronghold of Hope and receive a double portion from the Lord! I will hope in the Lord! Amen and Amen!
Blessings to Each of You!
James W. Goll