Prophecy is for EVERYONE! It is difficult to convey this concept enough in our world of superstars—both in the church and outside it.
But Scripture is clear—every believer is prophetic, and every believer can prophesy (see Numbers 11:29 and Acts 2:16-18).
So whether you have prophesied for years or are just getting started, here are 10 practical guidelines that will help you grow in prophecy and keep your gift solidly grounded.
10 Practical Keys to Help YOU Prophesy!
1. Earnestly desire the gifts of the Holy Spirit, especially that you may prophesy (see 1 Corinthians 14:1). God wants to speak to you and through you!
2. Trust the peace of God. Beware of speaking when your spirit is uneasy or in turmoil, or when you feel forced to speak. Look for the peace of God in every word you utter (see Psalm 85:8; Philippians 4:7–9).
3. Obey the urging of the Spirit. Remember, the prophetic spirit is under your control. It will not impel you to speak against your better judgment. You can turn it off or turn it on by an act of your will.
4. Don’t rely on physical sensations. When you begin to move in prophecy the Lord may give you physical sensations such as knots in the stomach, a fluttering heartbeat, intense heat, a feeling of euphoria, impressions, visions, and so on. The Holy Spirit does this to prepare you to receive or deliver His word. However, it is also true that as time goes on, the Lord often withholds these promptings so you can grow in the ability to hear Him apart from physical sensations.
5. Speak clearly and naturally. You don’t have to speak in King James English to get your point across. Nor do you always have to say, “Thus saith the Lord.” If your word is truly from God, the Spirit will confirm it in the hearts of the listeners (see John 10:4–5, 16). Also, be sure to speak loudly and clearly enough to be heard by everyone.
6. Timing is everything. A prophecy that comes at the wrong time during a meeting sounds like a noisy gong or clanging symbol. It will only draw attention to you, not to Jesus.
7. Leave the delivery of corrective and directional words to experienced and mature brothers and sisters. The simple gift of prophecy is for exhortation, edification, and comfort. If you do receive a directional word, write it down and prayerfully submit it to someone in leadership for evaluation.
8. Let God speak to you in the way that He chooses. You don’t have to be struck by a lightning bolt to prophesy. A message can come in a variety of ways: literal words; senses or inklings; vision of words like teletype print in your mind; dreams; and so on. More often than not, a seasoned individual receives the sense of what God wants to say. Your duty is to then express that sense clearly and appropriately (see Psalm 12:6).
9. Follow the Holy Spirit’s leading on what to do with a word after you’ve received it. Not all words are for the purpose of proclamation; many are for intercession. Some words should be “put on file,” waiting for confirmation. Other words should be written down and submitted to more mature Christians with a prophetic ministry for evaluation. Some prophecies should only be spoken to an individual, others to a group. Some prophetic words should be delivered as songs.
10. Don’t let the fear of failure keep you from stepping out. What if you mess up? No start is perfect. Maturity only comes from taking risks and occasionally failing. Proverbs 24:16 says, “For a righteous man falls seven times and rises again.” Learn from your mistakes, ask the Lord to forgive and cleanse you, and get back up and humbly receive His grace (see 1 Peter 5:5).
As light and darkness continue to increase in our world, YOU can be an agent of light bringing hope, encouragement, and comfort to everyone around you.
Together, we will become a prophetic army for the kingdom of God!
Blessings to prophesy LIFE in Jesus’ name!
James W. Goll
If you want to grow in your gift of prophecy and bring hope, encouragement and comfort to everyone around you, then you’ll love James Goll’s NEW book The Prophet! When you purchase the book you will also receive 12 bonus video devotionals by James W. Goll that correspond with each chapter. Order your copy today and start prophesying LIFE in Jesus’ name!